2012/11/04

Trinity Build Software Notes

Now that Sandy has left me with a roof, I got back to the HTPC/server Frankenstein work and got a semblance of Quantal Quetzal running on it.  Some notes:

  • I ended up going with a classic grub install on the ssd rather than getting efi boot to work, since Ubuntu is not cooperative in its installer in setting that up, and attempting to use boot-repair just got me normal.mod import failures.  I get the same problem on my usb drive in efi mode, but it doesn't have efi bootables at all so I'm not surprised there.  Good thing the AMI uefi bios isn't really that authoritarian on conforming to uefi boot procedures.
  • fglrx in 12.10 is broken without installing linux-generic-headers.  Took a while to figure that out.
  • pulseaudio is still tremendous garbage and produces static sound noise even on a completely different pc.  When I write my own OS up hill through snow in both directions with golden boots that poops rainbows, it will definitely have one fucking sound server that can handle per-application volume control, mixing, and remote sound serving.  The whole OSS/Alsa/Pulse mess is still a big fucking mess.
  • Nautilus started segfaulting whenever I started it after setting "Fix the appeance of themes under root" in Ubuntu Tweak (I think, It isn't exactly science figuring out what caused it, it could have been any of a dozen thingoos).  Deleting user preferences didn't work and after half an hour trying to find documentation on where the piece of $%@ stores configurations to delete and how Ubuntu Tweak modifies them (I think I found some overrides in some gconf directory but that didn't fix anything).
  • Tried Marlin, it still needs integrated SMB support.  Should be an easy plugin, but it isn't there, and needs to be.  Maybe I should write it.  Otherwise love the nav bar.  Needs more configuration, but it doesn't need to be stupid obtuse like Nautilus or Dolphin, I like the Ubuntu configure menu option that pops open a box of icons and buttons and lets you put them wherever you want.
  • Went with Nemo because Nautilus 3.6 segfaulted too.  Apparently Nemo is made of more brazen stuff, because it wasn't segfaulting.  Installed some addons.  Doesn't have Ubuntu One integration, but I guess it makes sense since it isn't for Ubuntu.  Starting to feel like crap because this is supposed to be a pure Ubuntu box and it is already a franken-aztec-god-thing.  
  • Nemo works for a while, but nemo-share SMB integration started lagging out and not detecting network shares.  That ain't gonna fly for Grannie, so I tried fixing it, options and configurations didn't work.  Later rebooted to the live usb again, and shares are snappy and fine in Nautilus.  Strongly considering starting over again and just using tweak to remove workspaces.
  • At some point, I started getting system crushing memory corruption in 3d accelerated applications like the Unigine benchmark or XBMC.  No where else.  Still trying to figure this out, so I'll update this post with conclusions on that.  Both memtests ran fine for a few hours multiple times, that shouldn't be it, but the gpu shouldn't be having hardware failure.  If I run the system at 1866 ram speed it works fine, but that points more to a DMI error in the interconnect than bad ram.  It could be *&%#%@ anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment